Teaching refugee and asylum issues – Amnesty International
A Safe Place to Call Home– Ideas for assemblies, classroom activities and downloadable resources – Christian Aid
Education in a Diverse UK- Education pack, awarded ACT Quality Mark for Citizenship Teaching Resources – Migrant Help
Also see the Ireland Refugee Education Pack
UNHCR Teaching about refugees guide- short animations and teacher-led discussion notes
Forced to Flee: Children on the move- Education pack – UNICEF
In Search of Safety- Teaching about the refugee crisis. UNICEF
Guardian Guide to Teaching Resources- Ideas for primary and secondary and links to other helpful organisations.
Lessons of Hope- Classroom resource pack available to purchase (income used to support refugees in Yorkshire). My Bright Kite
Refugee Week resources- for Refugee Week in June, or to adapt for any time of year
Against All Odds- UNHCR’s refugee experience game.
Not just numbers- educational toolkit (ignore sections referring to DVD) – UNHCR
Zimbabwe Association Twelve Years Project- Teacher packs and resources for Key Stages 2, 3 and 4
Platforma- Get inspired by examples of art projects
36,000 Humans- Activity ideas from a campaign group. Action for Refugees
Visit City of Sanctuary Arts pages for links to artists and art works around refugees
Website about refugee-inspired art
Traces Project- The first digital timeline to tell the untold history of arts and cultural contributions by people who have sought safety in the UK. CounterPoint Arts, supported by UNHCR.
Two Billion Miles– Interactive video, sharing stories of refugee and migrant journeys with teaching resources. Channel 4 News
Many Rivers Crossed: Britain’s attitudes to race and immigration 50 years since ‘Rivers of Blood’- Report by British Future. A Wolverhampton School of Sanctuary is featured.
Contact your local Development Education Centre for resources, workshops and training on a range of topics including climate change, fair trade and human rights
Play and Learn Arabic- Free resource from eduTechnoz focusing on learning Arabic in a fun way.
Partner with a school abroad through the British Council
Pullitzer Center- Searchable resources with a focus on journalism
Global Dimension- Resources can be searched for by topic and by age.
Asylum Seekers and Refugee Quiz from Refugee Week
Simple Acts- Suggested activities. Refugee Week
NaTaKallam (‘we speak’) is an award-winning, woman-founded social enterprise delivering cultural exchange services by vetted and highly-skilled refugees and displaced persons worldwide. For more information contact: [email protected]
- Kazzum Arts Migration Pack – Differentiated teaching packs and associated resources aimed at primary and secondary levels.
- The Walk: Education and Activity Pack – A pack full of teaching and learning activities divided by age-range and theme to accompany the Little Amal’s walk across Europe in 2021.
- Schools of Sanctuary– resources. With partner, OXFAM
- Lost Wor(l)ds – A collection of varied activities for embracing multilingualism in the classroom across different subjects.
- The Belonging Toolkit – co-produced with Coram Life Education and Coram’s Young Citizens (funded as part of the HALO programme by The Queen’s Trust) — gives invaluable insight into the issues facing migrant children and young people today. It is free to download and includes lesson plans, teachers’ guidance, films and activities for KS2 and KS3, all clearly linked to Learning Opportunities in the PSHE Association programme of Study.
All ages mentioned are suggestions. Judgement on age suitability is of course best left to teachers and schools.