Having accurate and up-to-date facts is crucial when teaching and learning about refugee and asylum related issues. Here is a selection of go-to sites:
- Figures at a glance. This gives headline figures and uses clear graphics.
- Facts about asylum and migration
- Searchable world maps
- Global Report
- Global Appeal
- Home Office migration statistics are collected here and immigration for the year ending September 2019, here.
- House of Commons Library statistics on migration to and from the UK. Also statistics on asylum seekers and refugees in the UK.
- The UNHCR Resettlement Handbook (UK chapter) explains the schemes that the UK government uses to assess and resettle refugees (March 2018). See also UNHCR Asylum in the UK
The Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford seeks to inform public debate and policy through data and statistics.
The Refugee Council provides definitions of key terms and key statistics.
The Atlas of Migration, produced by the European Commission’s Knowledge Centre on Migration and Demography, lets you compare countries’ intake of refugees through maps and statistics.
Moving Here Offers free access, to an online catalogue of original material related to migration history, over the last 200 years, from local, regional and national archives, libraries and museums.
Operation Refugee Child Factsheet (Mar 2016) – This useful fact-sheet has updated information about the current refugee crisis with colour graphics, charts and pictures.